- Patient must respond well to joint distraction vs. joint compression
- Wrap superband around stable anchor (if at home – knot it and place it under a closed door), double wrap band around foot, distract back by moving in a straight line away from the anchor. Lay down and breathe until the distracted foot falls asleep.
- Variation: Lay at an angle to create hip ABD (stretches out the ADD as well)
- Purchase RockTape Superband here: http://shop.rocktape.com/rockband/
- People with hip/shoulder impingement move from their spine rather than just from the joint – this exercise teaches people to move from their joints
- Wrap superband around stable anchor (if at home – knot it and place it under a closed door), bring band up to the hip and get into a quadruped position. Move away from the anchor to increase tension on the superband. Pull hands to knees, knees to hands to engage the “core”. Move hips towards heels (this allows the band to pull the head of the femur down into the joint)
- Variation: Straight lateral distraction
- Mobilized left hip (tight) into the 2nd transformational zone while getting the t-spine into type 2 (side bending and rotation in the same direction) motion to the left
- Place emphasis on keeping the t-spine aligned over the pelvis and finding the threshold where it starts to be lost.
If you don’t have a True Stretch, place a chair in a doorframe instead!
How do you deal with hip pain? Let’s get the discussion going – share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Have questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Curious to learn more? You can follow me on: